Thursday, August 9, 2012

WTF? Electricity Theft.

Ok...so normally I'm not a swearing pissed off person but today I was almost there.  The new home across the street has many contractors coming and going and they all decided it must be alright to use my electricity.  WTF?   REally?    I carried their cord out of my outlet, across my yard and asked who was paying for the electricity.  I had been gone about 2 hours so I have no idea how long they were stealing from me. What really made me pissed was that they lied to me.  When I confronted them, the one guy told me that they didn't know anyone was living there.  REALLY?  You didn't see me this morning with my daughter?  You didn't see the flowers on the front stoop?  You didn't see the flowers right in your face on the lamp post?  And the kicker:   (Wait for it...Wait for it)....REally?  You REALLY didn't see that little decorative gnome with his little decorative bird friend sitting on my front stoop RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE OUTLET that you moved to get to it?   REally?  You didn't see that?  Stop lying to me and giving me your excuses.  Man up and apologize and then compensate me.  Ok...whew.  See...I told you I was a little pissed.  The guy then proceeded to tell me that he thought it was ok since the Amish guys were doing it.  Ok...so now there's more than one guy doing it and that makes it ok for everyone else to do it. GROW UP.  Then when I asked him about the figurines and the obvious signs of life, he just pointed to this poor young kid who was obviously learning and said:  "He did it, he's new.".    Wow.   Wow.  Wow.    WTF?

Here is what I did:
1. Called the SR.
2. Called my husband who wanted me to call the police for  theft.
3. Emailed the PM.
4. Called the sub contractor who consequently told me they've never had anyone make a big deal about it.  Really?  People have no problem just paying for electricity that they don't use?  I find that hard to believe.  I need to find these people and have them pay for my electricity.  I don't have a problem if you pay for it and use it but, unless you ask......and I say yes, please don't take it from me.


Here is what happened:
The PM, who did not know about it, said that they will pay for half of my first month's electric. 

Here's how I feel:

Better.  Ok.  That's more than fair and I appreciate that type of customer service.  At the very least I just wanted them to pay for what they used but how in the heck am I suppose to figure that out?  We'd have to rely on the subcontractor who already lied to me.

So....THANK YOU RYAN HOMES for making a wrong situation right once again.  You continue to impress me with your customer satisfaction and concern for your Ryan Home owners.  :)  Crisis Averted.

Oh..and on a side note and a little bit funny:  I met one of my neighbors who proceeded to tell me that there was a crazy blogger in the neighborhood.   Uhmmm....Could it be?   I'm still trying to figure out what I should say next.  I hope you all would let me know if I've ever been too nuts.  I'm relying on your sanity to keep me straight. :)  My mother told me that she thought my information about Dustin's credit score was a little bit much....then I proceeded to tell her that the whole reason we have a house right now is because of that willingness to share.  Without my blog and your replies, I would have never known how to fix his score so quickly.  Ahh...I love my little virtual world.  Much love to you all!  Now...back to moving in and getting the insane amount of stuff I have in it's new place.  Too bad blog land can't come and help me move, decorate, landscape...etc...etc.   :)

18 comments:

  1. WOW I can not believe that someone would do that! That is probably due to laziness in not wanting to set up a generator. I dont blame you one bit Charissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get this....the generator was there in the driveway. It was already set up. They were sneaky and waited until they thought I left for the day....but little did they know I have the day off.

      Delete
  2. In their defense, they may be used to it in some developments. In my development, the landscapers have come through and planted trees and used our (and our neighbors') hoses to water the trees. Other workers have come through and used our (and our neighbors') outside outlets to power their equipment when working on an unoccupied house. We never thought anything of it, and they probably didn't either. That being said, they shouldn't have lied or tried to blame it on the new guy. They should have said "I'm sorry, I didn't think you'd mind" or "I should have asked." I'm glad Ryan is making it right. They've been pretty awesome so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I don't have a problem sharing a little but don't lie and don't use without asking.

      Delete
  3. Wow. Good for RH for stepping up to the plate.

    I'm dying to know what happens with the neighbor! Keep us posted. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad the situation turned out well. Crazy blogger? That is hilarious, but I would not classify you as crazy at all. And we can help you decorate, post some items…we'll respond!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! It might be a while though...right now my new house looks like a bomb of boxes went off.

      Delete
  5. I have to admit, I would be out right pissed to find anyone, neighbor or contractor using my water or electricity without permission. It is stealing.

    I am glad to hear Ryan is covering half of first month electricity. That's awesome.

    To ensure it doesn't happen while you are gone, if there is a worry it could....flip that outlet's breaker off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no...even better...the outside outlet actually has a place where I can put a lock on the lid and keep people out. I never thought I'd use it....ahhh...ignorance is bliss.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad that Ryan is correcting the situation with the electricity. The least they could have done is to ask if you minded. The lying about it would have been what really ticked me off though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, we can help you decorate, landscape, etc!

    If it doesn't belong to you - don't take it without permission. How is this a difficult concept? I'm not surprised your PM made good. I think Ryan Homes is way better about things than I expected when I had first read all the horror stories. But then, I read more, and realized most of the horror stories came from the same area of the country. Luckily, we don't live in that area. Our people have been great!

    Don't worry about what other people think about your blogging. If you are comfortable and happy with it, nothing else much matters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As everyone has already said, I can't believe that they would do that and then lie about it. At least Ryan is taking responsibility and doing more than they need to to make up for it. I would definitely be locking that outlet until they are finished with that house.
    I had a neighbor tell me tonight that he found my blog. They built the same model of house two years ago before a lot of changes were made to the floor plan. Most of the people that read my blog do not know me IRL, so it was a little strange to meet a neighbor that's read my blog. Oh well, at least he didn't have anything bad to say :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha! When I first read that I thought, wow! Someone else blogged from your neighborhood?! What are the chances! Haha! You do not and did not seem crazy to me- just aware of what was happening during the building process.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm surprised your neighbor would even mention the "crazy blogger" to anyone without knowing who it is! How awkward! And no, you are not crazy! If you are, then so are the rest of us! As for the power, that is awful. I'm glad RH is paying half your bill! We had someone come over the day we moved in and asked to use our electricity. I said yes since the electric company didn't come out to read the meter until the next day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Yeah I'd be pissed. They were stealing from you, it's flat out wrong. It's great to hear RH stepped up and did what was right. As for the "crazy blogger" comment, who cares. You enjoy blogging, you've helped others, others helped you. The neighbor that said that obviously doesn't have all the information. Let people think what they want. I wouldn't let it bother you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You should have just starting running extension cords from their place to yours and then start borrowing the gas out of their vehicles.

    Ha, if someone said that there was a crazy blogger in the neighborhood I would just get wide eyed and say, "We must find them!" Your only crazy unless you start throwing cats http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2-15mYWpmA

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stealing electricity would be illegal, not just rude. Much cheaper to pay half the bill then have Ryan homes explain in a police report why their contractors stole electricity, as opposed to how pro subs work, and must have or at lest rent a generator. They didn't do anyone a favor there. Ignorant bliss sure makes the appearance of quality contractors easier I guess.

    ReplyDelete